New details emerge in Clover killing

adouglas@heraldonline.comDecember 14, 2012 

The 22-year-old Clover man accused of killing his brother early Thursday is no longer in police custody.

Investigators will meet with solicitors Friday to determine whether criminal charges should be filed, according to the York County Sheriff’s Office.

Police say Teyler Matola Fenske is suspected of shooting his 21-year-old brother, Shaye Cetan Fenske, one time.

Sheriff’s deputies responded to the shooting Thursday morning at the Fenske’s mobile home on S.C. 557 near Glenn Road in Clover. Shaye Fenske was pronounced dead on the scene.

On Friday morning, the sheriff’s office released new details, including past incidents at the Fenskes’ home.

Three days before Christmas in 2010, the sheriff’s office responded to a fight between Shaye Fenske and a friend of Teyler’s, according to a police report.

During the altercation, the report states, Shaye Fenske picked up a .22 rifle and pointed it at his brother.

The visiting friend then picked up a baseball bat, according to the report, to defend himself.

Teyler Fenske and his friend “jumped on Shaye,” the report states, and beat up him.

Shaye Fenske was hit in the face with the bat, according to the report.

The rifle “went off” during the struggle but no one was shot. The three men decided not to press charges against one another, the report states.

One month later, in 2011, the Sheriff’s Office arrested Teyler Fenske for public disorderly conduct.

Police say he was found intoxicated near a church in Clover and had a knife.

Teyler Fenske told deputies he had been drinking and smoking marijuana, according to a Sheriff’s Office report.

Neighbors say the Fenske brothers “were quiet,” except the times they would shoot off fireworks or run around outside with fake guns, ducking behind or jumping on top of cars in the yard.

Those guns only shot Airsoft pellets, said Clover’s TJ Ewen, who knows the brothers through a mutual friend.

Ewen said the brothers “frequently” played with Airsoft guns in their yard.

“They worked together ... played together,” he said. “I don’t see (Teyler) just murdering Shaye. We all think it was probably an accident.”

- Herald reporter Jonathan McFadden contributed

Anna Douglas 803-329-4068

The York and Clover Enquirer-Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service