YORK COUNTY — A former York athlete and coach are among six people who will be honored by the York County Sports Hall of Fame, which plans its 13th induction ceremony May 13.
The two are Ivory Latta, a former basketball star at York Comprehensive, and Jimmy Wallace, a former York athlete and coach.
The Class of 2013 honorees will be inducted May 14 at the Events at Manchester, 1965 Cinema Dr., Rock Hill, SC 29730.
The inductees are:
- Latta, a basketball star at York Comprehensive High School and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Latta currently plays in the WMBA; once scored 70 points in a game.
- Wallace, a former All-State athlete in football and track. While playing football for York High School, he led his team to an undefeated season. Later, Wallace coached at York High School. He also coached at Rock Hill High School and Wofford College.
- Ron Davis, three-time state tennis champion at Rock Hill High School. Davis was also a seven time singles USTA champion and a five time doubles champion. Davis was the number one player at Winthrop University.
- Marty Long, All-State athlete in football and track at Northwestern High School. Long played football at the Citadel from 1982 - 1986. He was once the assistant football coach at University of Arizona and is currently the assistant football coach at Northern Illinois University.
- Hugh Mauldin, All-State athlete in football and track. Mauldin played in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas. He attended college at Clemson University and made the All-ACC team. Mauldin led the ACC in rushing and in punt returns.
- Willie Ware, tennis coach at Fort Mill High School. Wares team has won five consecutive state championships and 15 regional championships. Ware has been named the State Coach of the Year four times.
For more information about the York County Sports Hall of Fame or the induction ceremony, contact Dennis Partlow at 803-322-7202 or the York County Visitor Center at 803-329-5200.