Clover Rec youth basketball in full swing
CLOVER The Clover Parks and Recreation Department’s youth basketball action has been fast and furious during the winter season slate of games.
Recreation director Greg Holmes has been pleased with the number of participating teams and the wide range of ages.
“We’ve been very pleased with our arrangement with Fort Mill to include Clover and Fort Mill teams playing in both communities,” said Holmes. “This year’s youth basketball slate is reaching a lot of kids from both communities.”
Saturday will showcase a full slate of games, including 6U coed teams playing at Clover High School new gym No. 1.
The Dragons will play the Nets at 9 a.m., followed by the Bobcats and Phantoms at 10 a.m.
Other age groups slated for action this week and next include:
• Saturday, 8U boys at new gym 2; 9 a.m., Force vs. Mountaineers; 10 a.m., Sharks vs. Vipers. Feb 9, 9 a.m., Vipers vs. Mountaineers, new gym 1; Sharks vs. Force, new gym 2.
• Saturday, 9U girls at Banks Street gym in Fort Mill: 10 a.m., Fort Mill Causey vs. Clover Lady Jaguars; 11 a.m., Fort Mill Cohen vs. Clover Lady Warriors.
• Tuesday, Feb. 5 at Blue Eagle Academy: 6 p.m., Clover Lady Jaguars vs. Clover Lady Warriors.
• Saturday, 10U boys: 11 a.m., Blazers vs. Heat, old gym 1; Celtics vs. Lakers, old gym 2. Feb. 9, 9 a.m., Blazers vs. Lakers, old gym 1; Heat vs. Celtics, old gym 2.
• Saturday, 12U boys at old gym: 9 a.m., Clover Celtics vs. Fort Mill Maier; 10 a.m., Clover Heat vs. Fort Mill Prince; noon, Clover Wizards vs. Fort Mill Helms.
• Thursday, Feb. 7 at Blue Eagle Academy: 6 p.m., Clover Wizards vs. Clover Celtics.
• Saturday, 12U girls: 11 a.m., Clover Lady Eagles vs. Fort Mill Sivec/Elling, new gym. Feb. 9 at Banks Street gym, 4 p.m., Fort Mill Adams vs. Clover Lady Eagles. Feb. 16 at Nation Ford High School main gym: 2 p.m., Fort Mill Sivec/Elling vs. Clover Lady Eagles.
• Saturday, 15U boys at new gym, noon, Clover Wolfpack vs. Fort Mill Ajemian. Feb. 7 at Blue Eagle Academy, 7 p.m., Clover Wolfpack vs. Fort Mill Ford. Feb. 9 at old gym, 10 a.m., Clover Wolfpack vs. Fort Mill Reddeck.
For more information, contact Clover Parks and Recreation at 222-9493.
York Rec youth roundball ending
YORK The York Parks and Recreation Department’s winter youth basketball games are winding down, and recreation director Carolyn Leake lauded the number of participants in various age groups this season.
“We’ve had outstanding participation and good crowds at the games,” said Leake. “It seems the younger the participants, the bigger the crowds.”
Biddy basketball, ages 5 to 7, continues Saturday at the York Rec gym’s court A. The Yellow Jackets battle the Tar Heels at 10:30 a.m., followed by the Tigers and Blue Devils at 11:15 a.m.
On Saturday, Feb. 9, it’ll be the Blue Devils against the Tar Heels at 10:30 a.m. and the Tigers against the Yellow Jackets at 11:15 a.m.
Games for Zappers participants, ages 8-10, Saturday at court B: Mavericks vs. Heat, 10:30 a.m.; Knicks vs. Lakers, 11:30 a.m.; and Bobcats vs. Celtics, 12:30 p.m.
Feb. 9 games: Knicks vs. Bobcats, 10:30 a.m.; Lakers vs. Mavericks, 11:30 a.m.; and Heat vs. Celtics, 12:30 p.m.
Hot Shots basketball, ages 11-14, continues Thursday at the York Rec Center gym. The Bucks play the Eagles at 6 p.m., with the Gators pitted against the Huskies at 7 p.m.
Feb. 7 games include the Bucs against the Huskies at 6 p.m. and the Eagles against the Gators at 7 p.m.
The Junior Cougars, ages 8 to 14, continue morning instruction from York Comprehensive High School coaches and players Saturday from 9 to 10:15 a.m. at the York Rec Center. The sessions conclude with a scrimmage.
The Junior Cougars instructional sessions end Saturday, Feb. 9.
For details, call 684-3742.
Cougars basketball camp planned
YORK The annual Future Cougars Basketball Camp for boys and girls ages 5 to 15 will be June 24-27 at the York Comprehensive High School main gym and auxiliary gym.
Instructional sessions focusing on the fundamentals of the game will be from 9 to 11:30 a.m. each day at a cost of $60 per child.
Daily instruction will be provided by York Comprehensive High School coaches and players.
“Let your child play where the Cougars play and learn the game from the Cougar basketball players,” said YCHS head girls basketball coach Paula Blackwell.
Employee and multi-child discount is $10 off per child.
Contact Paula Blackwell at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 684-1505 for more information.
Cougars’ 2013 football schedule announced
YORK The York Comprehensive High School football team’s 2013 football schedule has been announced.
The Cougars once again will host the Bank of York Preseason Scrimmage as a prelude to regular season play. The Union County High School Yellow Jackets will provide opposition for the annual event at the YCHS stadium.
Regular season games begin with the Cougars hosting the Chester Cyclones on Aug. 23. All games for the coming season have a 7:30 p.m. starting time.
The following week, Aug. 30, will be an open date.
After traveling to Boiling Springs to play the Bulldogs, the Cougar Nation will be treated to four consecutive home games in the 6,500-seat Cougar Den.
Kennan kicks off the home slate of games on Sept 6.
The following week, Sept. 13, perennial power Gaffney comes to town.
After a home date with Kennan on Sept. 20, the Rock Hill Bearcats visit the YCHS stadium, with Fort Mill closing out the home stretch of games on Oct. 4.
The Cougars travel to Lancaster Oct. 11 to face the Bruins and return home the following week to battle a Nation Ford team that is on the rise.
The YCHS team, ranked in the top 10 4A poll most of last season, will battle top 10 teams in successive weeks, beginning Oct. 25 at Northwestern, facing a team that advanced to the state championship game last season.
Perennial powerhouse South Pointe comes to town Nov. 1 to close out the regular season home schedule.
The Cougars conclude the regular season at rival Clover, where first-year coach Chad Smith has arrived to pump new life into the program.
YCHS football camp planned June 17-20
YORK The York Comprehensive High School Football Summer Camp for boys will be held June 17-20 at the YCHS stadium, head coach Bobby Carroll announced this week.
Carroll said camp organizers once again will be partnering with the Carolina Panthers. More information will be announced, he said.