'); } -->
The York Comprehensive High School wrestling team made a strong showing in last week’s Region 3-AAAA Tournament, qualifying 11 of 14 for the upper state tournament.
The Cougar grapplers will compete in the individual state championships Feb. 15-16 in Laurens.
Head coach Todd Hershberger noted that the Cougars had three region champions: Robert Cunningham, Rainey Moore and Beau Nunn.
“We will continue our journey to individual state championships in Laurens,” Hershberger said.
On the team side of things, the Cougars traveled to Hillcrest over the weekend for the first two rounds of playoff competition.
In round one, the YCHS team defeated Mauldin.
“We then wrestled Hillcrest in round 2 where we were defeated,” Hershberger said. “Our guys wrestled well and won many tight matches, but we just were not deep enough to pull off enough wins”
Coleman Southard, Robert Cunningham, LJ Walton, Rainey Moore and Beau Nunn were victorious in the Hillcrest match.
“We ended our dual season with a 20-5 record, a top 10 state ranking and a second place finish in the region,” noted Hershberger.
“We are definitely disappointed with the playoff loss,” he said. “But as a coach, I am very proud of where we are as a team and proud of my guys and how they battled all season.”
Concluded Hershberger, “We look forward to finishing the season with some individual state championships and a good showing as a team at the state tournament.”
The following Region 3-AAAA Tournament participants in each weight class qualified for the individual upper state championships:
Key: Rock Hill (RH), Fort Mill (FM), York (Y), Northwestern (NW), South Pointe (SP), Nation Ford (NF), Clover (C), Lancaster (L).
• 106: 1) Devon Faile (RH), 2) Marvin Gallette (SP), 3) John Brotemarkle (FM), 4) Michael Chumsawang (NW), 5) John Stewart (Y).
• 113: 1) Eddie Byrams (FM), 2) Logan Sexton (RH), 3) Nathan Stratford (SP), 4) Cody Fouts (Y), 5) DaQuan Berry (C).
• 120: 1) Tyler Turner (FM), 2) Coleman Southard (Y), 3) Whitney Dye (NW), 4) Nick Steinberg (RH), 5) Matt Brazzell (L).
• 126: 1) Robert Cunningham (Y), 2) Noah Mead (RH), 3) Jake Strong (FM), 4) Brandon Hughes (NW), 5) Colin Godbout (NF).
• 132: 1) Mike Miller (SP), 2) Michael Allen (NF), 3) Jakob Tolin (C), 4) Tyler Wilkins (RH), 5) Cole Rumfelt (Y).
• 138: 1) Cameron Pike (SP), 2) LJ Walton (Y), 3) Nigel Bostick (FM), 4) Patrick Robles (NW), 5) Sam Swoope (RH).
• 145: 1) Nick Leitten (FM), 2) Bishop Ashley (RH), 3) Justin Whitesides (Y), 4) Hunter Allen (NW), 5) Houston Vandiver (NF).
• 152: 1) Robert Mills (RH), 2) Desmond Hood (L), 3) Cole Gregory (C), 4) Nick Raniszewski (NF), 5) Malik Long (FM).
• 160: 1) Rainey Moore (Y), 2) Kris Hughes (RH) 3) Jamison Humburg (NW), 4) Brandon Mayer (FM), 5) Shane Hurin (C).
• 170: 1) Cody Childers (RH), 2) Brady Hensley (NF), 3) Ricky Blackmon (SP), 4) Jeff Reed (L), 5) Kobe Tate (NW).
• 182: 1) Corey Morgan (SP), 2) Quinshun Evans (L), 3) Afton Walker (RH), 4) Naychon Gregory (NW), 5) Kaleb Cisco (FM).
• 195: 1) Cameron Bell (RH), 2) BJ Hurst (FM), 3) Chance Kelley (Y), 4) Zach Morgan (SP), 5) Eli Judd (NW).
• 220: 1) Josh Driscoll (NF), 2) Russell Hobbs (NW), 3) Zach Conrad (C), 4) Ethan Whitesides (Y), 5) Josh English (RH).
• Heavyweight: 1) Beau Nunn (Y), 2) Zach Dulcie (FM), 3) Travis Strait (RH), 4) Jamal Mitchell (NW), 5) Donta Spates (L).