YORK — A firefighter was sent to the hospital Sunday afternoon after battling a roof fire that caused up to $10,000 in damages at a York restaurant.
Part of the roof of Jasmine Cafe & Gifts on North Congress Street began to smoke after an electrical issue, according to York Fire Chief Domenic Manera.
Firefighters were able to quickly contain the fire, which was isolated to the buildings one-story storage area, but the smoke and heat caused a York firefighter to suffer from heat exhaustion.
The firefighter was sent to the hospital on a stretcher.
He did not have his breakfast, Manera said of the firefighter, explaining that he was tired and the gear, coupled with the warm weather, probably caused him to overheat.
The cafe was closed at the time of the fire and no one was inside.
Residents saw smoke rise from the back roof edge of the building and alerted York firefighters and police. Firefighters from Newport, Clover, and Sharon also responded.
Police temporarily blocked off traffic on two streets surrounding the fire, which was a block away from the citys police and fire departments.
Manera attributes the fire to electrical problems.
The front portion of the building has two stories with a second-floor apartment but the occupant was out of town this weekend. The owner of the shop was also out of town.
It could have been much worse, Manera said.
The fire was contained to the storage area, but firefighters opened all the doors and windows of the building to air out smoke. Firefighters used saws, water hoses and other equipment, on the rooftop.
Damages to the storage area were estimated at $5,000 to $10,000.