Crime briefs

November 12, 2013 

Police seek men in computer theft

Police are investigating two men believed to have stolen a touch-screen computer from the York Walmart, according to a York Police report.

According to the report. police were called around 6:30 a.m. Nov. 11 to investigate shoplifting. Store officials told officers two men were wandering in the electronics department and acting suspiciously. A store manager asked if they needed help, and the men said they were looking for “hunting stuff.”

A few minutes later the men picked up a box containing a $749 computer and left the store without paying, the manager told police.

The suspects left in a Hyundai Sonata that police traced to an owner in Rock Hill.

The case is under investigation.

York man charged with DUI after high-speed chase

A York man led Clover Police on a five-minute, 11-mile high-speed chase Friday morning when he fled after officers tried to stop him for speeding on his motorcycle, police said.

At about 2:45 a.m., officers were called after receiving word that a man on a motorcycle was speeding through town limits, said Lt. Tanner Davis with the Clover Police Department. They found Christopher O’Brian Greene, 22, at the intersection of Marietta Street, near the Clover Chapel Cemetery, and Kings Mountain Street.

When officers attempted to stop Greene, he accelerated, reaching in excess of 100 mph as two officers chased him in their patrol cars, Davis said.

The chase ended near the entrance of Kings Mountain State Park as Greene tried turning a corner, but instead fell off his motorcycle, he said.

He suffered from minor injuries but was taken to an area hospital and later released. Police charged Greene with driving under the influence, failure to stop for a blue light and as a habitual traffic offender.

Davis said Greene also had an outstanding warrant for possession of a stolen vehicle from the York County Sheriff’s Office, which police believe might have prompted him to flee.

Clover man charged with neglecting bedridden girlfriend

A bedridden woman suffering from muscular dystrophy was taken into protective services last week after her boyfriend was charged with neglecting her at their Clover house.

Investigators say her caregiver, Robert Orndoff, 34, did not properly tend to his 29-year-old girlfriend. Police found him intoxicated at 2:30 a.m. Nov. 7, and discovered he had not provided food or water to the woman for more than 18 hours, according to a York County Sheriff's Office report.

She told deputies she had not been bathed or changed clothes in days.

Orndoff was charged with neglect of a vulnerable adult.

The woman was taken by ambulance to Piedmont Medical Center.

Man sentenced in attempted sexual assault of Clover teen

Despite his lawyer’s pleas for a sentence that would not “destroy” his life, a former vacation Bible school teacher suffering from a brain disorder will spend 12 years in a state prison after he told a judge last week he is guilty of twice trying to sexually assault a teenage boy in Clover last year.

“It would be a great thing if I could just wave a wand and fix this ... fix you,” Circuit Court Donald Hocker said before handing down a sentence lighter than the 20 years Michael Ramey could have faced. “There’s no way to do that. At the end of the day, it’s my responsibility to protect the community.”

Ramey, 23, pleaded guilty to second-degree assault with the intent to commit criminal sexual conduct with a minor, earning him a no-parole sentence. Any rehabilitation will come from the state Department of Corrections while he’s imprisoned, said his attorney, York County Public Defender Harry Dest.

In September 2012, York County Sheriff’s Office detectives met with a 13-year-old boy and his father when the boy alleged that Ramey tried to force him into sex on two occasions, said Erin Joyner, the assistant York County solicitor who prosecuted Ramey.

The first time, Ramey rubbed the boy’s legs before grabbing his crotch. The boy pushed Ramey away. Not long after, Ramey touched the boy again, cornering him in a room, pulling down his shorts, pushing him onto a bed, climbing on top of him. The victim managed to push Ramey away.

Two months later, Ramey, of Shelby, N.C., was charged with second-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor and third-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor before his release on a $50,000 bond. He told police the boy came on to him first while he was drunk and after they both became scared while using a Ouija board. He told authorities, “It was not rape; it was consensual,” Joyner said.

Investigators sifted through the boy’s cellphone and found several messages from Ramey in which he propositioned the boy for sex and asked several times if he would spend the night.

Ramey had been living with the victim’s friend and the friend’s mother after the mother met him while he taught vacation Bible school at a church, Joyner said. The attempted assault happened while the victim spent the night at his friend’s home.

The York and Clover Enquirer-Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service