YORK — York Comprehensive High School fall sports awards recipients were recognized during last week’s ceremony in the high school auditorium.
Before the presentation of awards, athletic director Steve Boyd lauded the school’s athletic booster club for its loyalty to all sports teams at YCHS.
Boyd said the booster club generated more than $30,000 last year.
“We appreciate all they do for the total athletic department,” he said. “They paid for the meal and trophies tonight. Booster club members work the concession stands at home football games.”
Boyd gave a special thank you to YCHS coaches for their commitment. Boyd said the athletic department at YCHS continues to monitor the classroom performance of student-athletes.
“All of the athletes collectively have a 3.0 GPA, which is a B average,” he stressed. “Our volleyball team has a 4.0-plus GPA.”
Awards recipients included the following:
• Girls cross country: Most Improved Runner, Abby Good; Most Valuable Runner, Mariah Craig; Coach’s Award, Hannah Barnwell.
• Boys cross country: Most Improved Runner, Matt Smarr; Most Valuable Runner, Luke Bomar; Coach’s Award, Colt Parker.
• Girls golf: Most Improved, Amiyah Starnes; Most Valuable, Sarah Smith; Coach’s Award, Kimball Prosser and Mallory Prosser.
• Varsity cheerleading: Most Spirited, D’Asia Cherry; Sportsmanship Award, Scottee Burns; Most Dedicated, Julie Comer; Coach’s Award, Ashley Terry.
• Jayvee cheerleading: Most Dedicated, Taylor Gray; Most Spirited, Brooklyn White; Coach’s Award, Emery Carr.
• Girls swimming: Most Improved, Hayley Maylor; Most Valuable, Jessica Myers, ranked 21st in the state; Captain’s Gold Medal Award, Kaitlyn Bolick.
• Boys swimming, Most Improved, Travis Parker; Most Valuable, Garrett Johnson; Captain’s Gold Medal Award, Seth Miller.
• Girls tennis: Most Improved, Shelby Bailey; Cougar Pride, Katherine Wilkins; Coach’s Award, Heba Abdin.
• Varsity volleyball: Most Improved, Madeline Davis; Cougar Pride Award, Mattie Ballard; Hustle Award, Morgan Kuczler; Most Valuable, Nora Childers.
• Jayvee volleyball: Most Improved, Danielle Campos; Most Valuable, Lexi Chickoree; Cougar Pride, Clarklyn George.
• All-Region: Sarah Smith, girls golf; Morgan Kuczler, volleyball.