YORK — Steve Boyd, athletic director at York Comprehensive High School, spoke in glowing terms of the school’s athletic booster club during the winter sports awards ceremony last week.
Boyd lauded the booster club for its enormous financial contributions to the athletic department. “Our athletic booster club has raised $375,000 since 1996,” said Boyd. “This year’s budget is $30,000.”
Boyd thanked the coaches and athletes for their commitment to the athletic programs, with special praise issued to athletic secretary Karen Ransom. “Karen is a good organizer and always well prepared,” he noted.
Special plaques were presented to varsity cheerleader coaches Brandi Alexander and Lesley Reel and jayvee coach Debbie Love.
Boyd noted that all three are stepping down as cheerleading coaches.“We appreciate their contributions to the cheerleader teams,” Boyd said.
The following student-athletes were recognized:
• Varsity cheerleaders: Most Dedicated, Kaitlyn Spires; Most Spirited, Alyssa Queen; Sportsmanship Award, Karla Logue; Coach’s Award, Ashley Terry, Julie Comer.
• Jayvee cheerleaders: Most Spirited, Brooklyn White; Most Dedicated, Emery Carr; Coach’s Award, Reagan Queen.
• Varsity girls’ basketball: Best Defense, Najha Feemster; Barbara Neely Heart and Hustle Award, Hannah Cassell, A’keisha McClure; Most Improved, Heather Pumphrey; Cougar Pride, Carrie Lee Lancaster.
• Jayvee girls’ basketball: Most Improved, Kalinda Williams; Hustle Award, Emalee Smith; Coach’s Award, Halle West.
• Ninth-grade boys’ basketball: Academic Award, Myles Prosser; Most Promising Player, Wally Wilmore.
• Jayvee boys’ basketball: Academic Award, Michael Spratley; Most Promising Player, Armand Pendergrass.
• Varsity boys’ basketball: Academic Award, Bryson Stephenson; Hustle Award, Taye McConnell; Coach’s Award, Jerome Pettiway.
• Jayvee wrestling: Cougar Award, Bryce Stone; Wrestler of the Year, Dalton Zurick.
• Varsity wrestling: Most Improved, Jake Beverly; Wrestler of the Year, Cole Rumfelt; Cougar Award, Chance Kelly; Coach’s Award, Michael Avore.
• Recognized for all-region selections were Deshaw Andrews and Daurice Simpson, boys’ basketball; Carrie Lee Lancaster, girls’ basketball; and Cole Rumfelt, wrestling.